The American Family Association, an organization that has traditionally been a reliable promoter of family values, has stooped to a truly low level today. In a blatant act of dirty politics, the once-trustworthy AFA has shown it has no intention of living up to its own high moral standards, as it trashes presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani and spreads falsehoods about where he stands on the issues.
The AFA today sent a push poll to an estimated 3+ million voters, asking whether or not they would vote for Rudy Giuliani knowing that he was “pro-abortion and pro-homosexual marriage.”
Calling Rudy Giuliani pro-abortion (which is basically akin to calling someone who in favor of keeping the death penalty ‘pro-death’) is a bit misleading. The office of United States President has very little influence on abortion policy, but on every abortion-related issue that a U.S. President has the power to influence, Rudy Giuliani sides with pro-life conservatives. From maintaining the Hyde Amendment and Mexico City Policy (which ban almost all federal funding for abortions) to the Partial Birth Abortion Ban to parental notification laws to promoting adoptions as an alternative to abortions to his (probably the most important) belief in sending conservative judges to the Supreme Court, a President Giuliani wouldn’t be any different than President Bush on the matter. But AFA’s misleading generalization on this issue isn’t the real problem here.
Calling Giuliani “pro-homosexual marriage” goes beyond misleading to outright falsehood. Rudy Giuliani has always been in favor of preserving the traditional institution of marriage between one man and one woman. Here’s what Rudy has had to say on the issue:
- 2006: “I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman, that it should remain that way, it should remain that way inviolate, and everything should be done to make sure that that’s the case.”
- 2000 (even before he was running for President):”The institution of marriage should remain defined as a man and a woman.”
Social conservatives, regardless of whom they support for President (if we let the AFA get away with slandering Rudy, then they can get away with slandering any candidate) should speak out against the “American Falsehood Association.” We should demand that they (1) send out another e-mail to their mailing list subscribers to correct the error, (2) correct the statements on their website (AFA.net), and then (3) issue a written apology to Rudy Giuliani for defaming his name.
We urge all social conservatives to contact the AFA at http://www.afa.net/contact.asp to demand that they take actions 1-3 mentioned above.
Rudy Recap — Educate Yourself On The Truth:
- The Truth About Rudy and Gay Marriage
- Rudy’s Approach to Social Issues: Federalism
- Rudy: Pragmatic Traditional Values — With Results
- A Singular Issue: Why Abortion Shouldn’t Doom Giuliani’s Campaign
- Anti-Rudy Pro-Lifers Miss The Point
- Giuliani Proposes New Policies To Ease Adoptions, Reduce Abortions
- Why Pro-Lifers Should Support Rudy
- Anti-Roe and Pro-Rudy
- Rudy – The Candidate for Social Conservatives